While Apple has a much longer history as a marketplace for podcasts and while most mobile podcast listening is done on Apple devices and via Apple-created programs, the Google-backed Android platform is used by a larger number of people. According to stats by Kantar Worldpanel, Apple devices are used by 29% of mobile users in the U.S., while Android devices are used by 65% of people in the U.S.
According to the 2016 Internet Trends report, the previous five years have seen 28% growth for Android devices, but only 10% growth for Apple devices. Markets for mobile devices (phone, tablets, phablets, etc.) in the U.S. and other developed countries are quickly reaching a saturation point, and there is no reason to believe that there will be any major shifts in this trend going forward.
So, while many of your podcast listeners will be discovering your podcast through iTunes or the Apple Podcasts app, it stands to reason that, in the future, most of this activity will take place on Android devices. And Google has an iTunes-esque app for Android. It’s called Google Play. Like iTunes, it carries apps, music, ebooks, movies, and TV shows. But it also has a special section just for podcasts. Here is how to get your podcast listed.
- Go to play.google.com/music/podcasts/publish. If you are not logged in to your Google account already, you will be asked to log in. If you use an Android device or any Google product (such as Gmail), you already have a Google account. If not, create one.
- Click the orange “Publish” button. (You may also have to click a blue “Add a Podcast” button on the next page.)
- You will be asked to agree to Google’s Terms of Service. Click “I Accept.”
- Enter the RSS feed for your podcast and click “Submit RSS Feed.”
- The next step will be for you to verify ownership of the podcast. Google will send an e-mail to the e-mail address listed in your RSS feed. This e-mail address will be the one you used to sign up with your podcast host. Google will display this e-mail address onscreen. Click the “Confirm Email” button.
- Go to your e-mail and get the verification code that Google sends. It may take a few minutes to come in. Once you get it, go back to the Google verification page, put in the code, and click “Verify Ownership.”
- Google will take a few days to review your submission and then it will be listed in the Google Play Store.
You can manage your podcast details at any time by logging in to your Google Play publishing account at the link above.
This post is a part of the PODCASTING FOR MINISTRY blog series.